RE: NANFA-- Crayfish parasite? problem?

Hoover, Jan J ERDC-EL-MS (HOOVERJ_at_wes.army.mil)
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 10:50:03 -0600

Two other possibilities:

1) branchiobdellid worms - these segemented worms are intermediate in form
between aquatic earthworms (oligochaetes) and leeches. They occur on the
gills and body surfaces of crayfishes (and a few other crustaceans). These
worms are believed to be harmless commensals feeding on diatoms and other
attached algae, but there is speculation that they may feed on blood from
the gills. Pennak says that a single crayfish may harbor as many as 200-300
worms.

2) chironomid larvae - I have seen larval midges living on hellgrammites in
the Ozarks and would not be surprised to find them on crayfish.

-----Original Message-----
From: Noturus_at_aol.com
Sent: Friday, November 17, 2000 8:47 AM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: Re: NANFA-- Crayfish parasite? problem?

In a message dated 11/17/2000 9:08:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Ty_Hall_at_eFunds.Com writes:

<< Anyone have any ideas what this could be?

Ty

> I just found these two "worms" living on my crayfish. They may be about
3/8
> of an inch long, look kind of gray. The one stays in the same spot but
the
> other is moving around.
>
> I am not sure if they would be the same as anything that lives on fish
and I can
> not find anything that sounds or looks right.

My guess would be some kind of leach. These have a "suction cup" on either
end and tend to be somewhat flattened. Probably nothing to get upset about,
but you could certainly just pluck'em off with tweesers.

J.R.