Tank Raised Vs. Wild; was: Re: NANFA-- native killifish take the highest honor

Norman Edelen (normane_at_edelendoors.com)
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 12:02:15 -0800

Hello All,

I think we should also remind folks that these are also not mass produced
commercial species being farm raised, and that they are not often maintained
like other killie species by being bred and spread by dedicated hobbyists.
The majority of native killies available, or any native really, are wild
harvested. I know that wild fish arrive in the hobby from all points, and
natives aren't unique in this regard, but it should make them precious. How
many fish being offered in NANFA's trading post are tank or pond bred? What
about Aquabid.com? Everyone I have corresponded with regarding natives on
Aquabid is selling harvested fish. I think NANFA needs to not only place
emphasis on responsible and legal collecting, but on breeding what you
collect. I would love to see NANFA have some sort of breeders' award
program. Just a thought.

Norm

A proud member of
The Greater Portland Aquarium Society
www.gpas.org
The North American Native Fishes Association: over
20 years of conservation efforts, public education, and
aquarium study of our native fishes. Check it out at
www.nanfa.org