NANFA-- FW: Giant Sturgeon

Jay DeLong (thirdwind_at_att.net)
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 07:59:51 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: creineke_at_csi.com
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2001 7:54 AM
Subject: Giant Sturgeon

To Whom It May Concern,

I am a free-lance research journalist in Brooklyn, NY. I have a question
concerning the Latin name of the Giant Sturgeon. The London Times on July
27, 2001 had an article that spoke of the Chesapeake Bay, on the coast of
Virginia and Maryland. In 1607 it said, Captain James Smith lost a cannon
overboard and said that it was 'clearly visible in over 30 feet of water'.
It continued by saying, 'Grey whales, dolphins, manatees, river otters, sea
turtles, alligators and giant sturgeon were numerous.'

So, my question is, do you know what the actual latin name for the giant
sturgeon referred to here was? Was it the beluga or perhaps the Atlantic
sturgeon? Again my main interest is in the LATIN name of this sturgeon.

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

Craig Reineke
25 Columbia Heights