RE: NANFA-- Maumee River YOCW Trip 10/19/2002

Crail, Todd (tcrail_at_northshores.com)
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 20:29:46 -0500

Thanks Bruce :)

Yeah I started counting and the fish species viewed are well into the mid 30's, which I think is pretty good in Great Lakes drainage. We'll have to see what other rivers begin to yield. Doug was saying that the final one (hazelnut or asiatic.. not sure, can't view from home<!>) was a toss up. That thing was *huge* tho, and I'm not all that sure the asiatic clams get that large? It was at least 5" across, if not more. My bad for not flipping it over :) At any rate, if it's not the exotic, it's threatened in Michigan, not sure about here. And that one was main channel heh. However, we've yet to see an infection of zebra mussels. Either the spring *mud* screws them up, or it's just a matter of time. In the meantime tho, I guess the lesson here is to make an educated attempt to see what's there before you call it crappy...

Casper, thanks and you name the place, man. I'm saving vacation daze to hit Tennessee when you guys make the next foray out. Maybe we could even tie that in as Pre-Convention Madnesssssssss? I have my prescription mask now too :) I've also never sampled in Kentucky, I believe there's an awesome river that feeds the Tennessee in east Ky? Just say when :)

Let's just put it this way. It *disturbs* me that there I'm unable to find a photo of a Tangerine Darter *anywhere* on the web. ;)

Todd
-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Stallsmith
Sent: Wed 11/13/2002 5:19 PM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: Re: NANFA-- Maumee River YOCW Trip 10/19/2002

Hey Todd, I especially like your mussel photos. Nice diversity on the
Maumee, better than I would have hoped. 'specially the white heelsplitter,
in some areas of the southern Appalachians that's become a vulnerable
species.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>From: "Crail, Todd" <tcrail_at_northshores.com>
>To: <nanfa_at_aquaria.net>
>CC: "Kathy Duffy" <glassfrog04_at_hotmail.com>,"Eric Massengill"
><emassengill_at_email.uophx.edu>,"dsweet" <dsweet at detroitzoo.org>
>Subject: NANFA-- Maumee River YOCW Trip 10/19/2002
>Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 17:03:14 -0500
>
>Here's a formatted web version of this trip report that was done on the
>Year
>of Clean Water weekend. Thanks again to Doug and Jeremy for their help
>with
>the mussels, and Jan for pointing the way to the YOCW festivities. :)
>
>http://www.farmertodd.com/NANFA/101902Maumee/
>
>I've also checked this one in Netscape to assure you folks can view it
>alright. Sorry about any others in the past that looked funny.
>
>Todd
>
>http://www.farmertodd.com
>It is not so difficult to love nonhuman life, if gifted with knowledge
>about
>it.
> - E.O. Wilson

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a name of winmail.dat]