Re: NANFA-- Mystery Darter

Jay DeLong (thirdwind_at_att.net)
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:27:34 -0800

<x-flowed>
At 08:45 AM 11/17/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>--- Jim Graham <jimbob54_at_voyager.net> wrote:
> > From attending the 1999 convention I thought it was illegal to
> > collect
> > darters in Illinois unless you have a scientific permit to do so.
>
>Thanks to the friendly folks at IL-DNR, they recently specify that
>only Cyprinids can be siened and kept.

Sajjad, what do you mean by "recently specify"?

I recall that at the 1999 meeting there were one or two DNR people there
who were puzzled by the language of the regulations. The language was so
strange that everyone there-- the DNR people, Larry Page, and others--
spoke as though they could and should be reviewed and revised. If I
recall, darters are taboo because the language in the regulations specifies
Percids, which almost certainly was originally intended to refer to walleye
and yellow perch (Who cared about darters when it was written?!) I don't
think there's a state in the US that doesn't have a gamefish bias in its
regulations and activities, but still, this seems a silly mess that could
be fixed with very little trouble.

--
Jay DeLong
Olympia, WA