NANFA-- RE: nanfa V1 #1836 - Species Extinctions

Bob Sinclair (rjs_at_silcom.com)
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 21:46:25 -0800

Ty:

I think it's safe to say that every NANFA member is seriously
interested
in protecting the environment, and preserving species, but I
personally
feel one must maintain a reasonably balanced perspective. Please note
the following near the end of the report:

"The group has examined some 18,000 species and subspecies
around the globe. But scientists say much more must be done.
Earth is home to an estimated 14 million species  and only
1.75 million have been documented."

The late Dr. Stephen Jay Gould estimated that approximately 95% of
all species ever to have lived on earth are now extinct...but this
world
of our continues to rotate on its axis, and support an incredibly
large
diversity of life forms.

Bob

- - - - -