Subject: Re: NANFA-- Endagered Species Report

Jeffrey Fullerton (tcmajorr_at_westol.com)
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:25:15 -0500

> In a message dated 11/18/03 8:51:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> farmertodd_at_buckeye-express.com writes:
>
> > So we'll just go trash another one before we choke ourselves out? :)
>
> No, we make artificial habitats, spin them for gravity light the inside with
> fiber optics and you have ready made habitat with forests, streams, lakes and
> such and abandon planets altogether or we become extinct just as we kill
> everything else on this planet. In our own solar system there are no other planets
> to trash even if we wanted too do so. Planets are not made for a species as
> successful as us.
>
> Moon

Given the bane of cloud cover this past year and my interest in passive
solar collection systems I concur that planetary life can be problematic
sometimes but it's probably for the better if some of us stay behind.
Doesn't pay to put all your eggs in one basket. The virtue of space
habitats is that they give you access to solar power unobstructed by
atmospheric phenomemon plus biological isolation and the option of
mobility to escape hostile neighbors and other threats- but planets are
big and have lots more enertia and might offer more protection against
some catestophic events.

Jeff

At any moment, human beings are trying every possible survival strategy
in terms of geography, topography, diet, habitat, clothing, custom, and
belief. Since the universe is essentially random, no one can predict
what disaster will next engulf the Earth. We're way overdue,
statistically, for another big meteor strike. There's bound to be
another supernova soon. Mt. Saint Helen's hardly compares with the great
volcanic eruptions of the past. If we've each chosen our own survival
strategy and, in aggregate, we've chosen a broad enough spectrum of
survival strategies, then someone will survive, whatever happens, and
human life will go on.
L. Neil Smith : Lever Action