Re: NANFA-- Re: TRADING POST

R.W.Wolff (choupiqu_at_wctc.net)
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 18:53:12 -0600

I'm not trying to bash anyone either...
This is one of the problems with how the system is set up. there aren't
always ways to find out this information, whether it pretains to the status
of species, or laws on harvest and transport. Until native aquarists are
taken seriously and thought to be main stream it is sad to say this will
continue. I still have people come up to me thinking I've commited a
felony for keeping native fish. where does this idea come from? I would
think promoting our own resources as "pets" would be better than scarring
other countries fish fauna for theirs. Who knows the status of certain
tetras, cichlids, and cory cats in their home country? the agencies in
those countries (if there are any) may not even care or know. Also, what
you don't know can't hurt you , i guess. So "normal" tropical fish keepers
can keep plundering the stocks of South America and Afirca, cross breed
fish without discression, and be considered good.

This posting made it aware to any one who reads it the trouble those
species are in. I was aware a couple of madtoms were limited to
distribution and scarce, but did not know that that many were. So, without
asking, none of this would have been known. Knowledge is the best tool to
help.

Now the other side of the coin on this issue that bothers me. What is
actually being done to protect these fish, other than "you can't catch any
and keep them"? That really doesnt help them in my opinion. What does is
habitat protection, reestablishing habitat, and putting these fish back in
areas that they may have been pushed from for one reason or another. you
can lock all these fish away so no one can touch them, but they will still
die out if they haven't a home.

I just had to vent on this subject. I here so much about all the species
going extinct, and who is to blame (finger pointing, oh brother), but never
the efforts under way to reestablish things back to the way they were. If
we can have more Largemouth Bass than ever in history, why can't some
effort go to boosting populations of other fish? i know money is a factor,
but without knowing and caring for these species, there will be no money or
reason
Just some things to get off my chest, i hope I articulated them right, I'm
trying to get feed back to my questions, not upset anyone.
Ray

----------
> From: Dave Neely <rheopresbe_at_hotmail.com>
> To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
> Subject: NANFA-- Re: TRADING POST
> Date: Tuesday, November 02, 1999 3:56 PM
>
> Bruce, and others...
>
> >Wants- freckled madtom,speckled madtom Orangefin madtom or basically
>any
> >madtom...
>
> The orangefin madtom is under consideration for, if not already given
> Federally Threatened status. It also has State Threatened status in
> Virginia.
>
> If it doesn't matter what madtom you get, why even ask for something that
is
> in trouble? While there is some disagreement over whether the James R.
> population is native (and thus deserving of protective status), this is
> still a legally protected species. Over half of all Noturus taxa are in
dire
> straits (especially the subgenus Rabida- saddled madtoms with strongly
> toothed pectoral spines). There's also evidence for several undescribed
> taxa within the group (ie., the "elegans," "stigmosus," "albater," and
> "munitus" complexes), most with very small ranges.
>
> I'm not trying to bash you for asking, I'm just not sure how it reflects
on
> NANFA as a professional society to be asking for listed taxa for pets,
> without evidence of the appropriate permits... even after the disclaimer
> from NANFA at the top of the list, as well as the list of state and
> Federally listed taxa on the NANFA home page.
>
> Just my two cents... and btw, I can get N. leptacanthus and/or N.
funebris