This reminds me of the Penobscot Indians of Maine, who formed large eeling
parties and stunned eels by stirrng a mile-long stretch of water with a poison
derived from pokeberry and Indian turnip root. Not only was this poison fatal to
eels, but it also caused painful skin inflammations among the Indians.
Apparently, the pain was worth it. Within a half hour or so, the stream was
littered with the bodies of dead or dying eels. Indians smoked their eels and
used the vertebrae for stock in corn soup.
/"Unless stated otherwise, comments made on this list do not necessarily
/ reflect the beliefs or goals of the North American Native Fishes
/ This is the discussion list of the North American Native Fishes Association
/ nanfa_at_aquaria.net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the word
/ subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email to
/ nanfa-request_at_aquaria.net. For a digest version, send the command to
/ nanfa-digest-request_at_aquaria.net instead.
/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page, http://www.nanfa.org