RE: NANFA-- Newport Aquarium

Robert Carillio (darterman_at_hotmail.com)
Mon, 02 Oct 2000 12:49:02 EDT

Jay, I want to go there! It is about 5 hours from where I live.  This
weekend was The Mahoning River Fest. This was a huge painstaking event that
for the last 2 weeks I have been working my butt off helping out with!!!
This was a major educational festival where the first native fish and
riparian zone interpretive sign was unveiled! I gave a talk on this and it
was greatly received. I also spent $1000.00 constructing this "water shed"
exhibit, which was made from reclaimed barnwood (100 years old-no
termites!). This exhibit featured three types of Mahoning River Habitats
that were situated as "windows" looking into Ohio's underwater world of
streams. I placed graphics I wrote with photos on the outside of the
structure, so that people could read about the importance of the particular
habitat shown. I called this "the water shed" to play on the words!!!... Get
it??? WATER-SHED!!! The structure was a shed!  This was the centerpiece of
the festival exhibition hall, and was seen and appreciated by many. I also
had a table set up featuring various books on native fishes,Tomelleri
prints, t-shirts, NANFA info, and a tv playing videos about natives, namely
the troubwater video! This exhibit was loaded on nmy truck from 5pm on
Friday, and was not totally finished until 3:30am Saturday morning.... Then
the fest started at 10am!!!!    We had to break it all down by 7:30pm...
Needless to say, this was a non-stop marathon, but it was worth it! I wish
you could have seen this, because I know how much you appreciate educational
stuff like this!!!!..... Rob... I was beat tired by days end!