Re: NANFA-- large fish

Tony (anutej_at_loxinfo.co.th)
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 02:08:45 +0700

If it is Pangasius hypothalmus [the irredescent shark that is mistakenly called P.
sutchi and the only one that is commercially artificially bred for aquaculture/pet
business] then it will eat a lot of pellet food, shrimp, artemia, any meaty stuff
that is slow enough and grow quickly. It likes company to be less skittish. It
can grow to 150 cm up and weighs more than 15 kg, but in the aquarium it will
probably remain smaller but exceeds 60 cm easily, so since it is continuously
swimming it needs at least 300 cm long tank. An indoor pond would be better.
Also it will become darker and body propotions will change as it grows - wider
mouth, fatter body, more muscle, etc. This is the fish that should be banned from
the pet trade since not many people will give them the necessary space - at least
the redtail cat does not swim as much.

Tony