Re: NANFA-- KY collecting notatus and olivaceus

Mark (mbinkley_at_columbus.rr.com)
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 13:27:39 -0400

At 12:55 PM -0400 10/25/01, Michiganfish_at_aol.com wrote:
>Michigan male notatus stripes are also broken almost like a series of
>diamonds pushed together. It allows me to sex them when only about 12 mm
>long. The olivaceus I collected at the Jackson convention do not have the
>broken stripe. I have to use the dorsal and anal fins to sex the fish. I
>spawned them this spring and even at 1.5 inches long can't sex them for
>sure.<<

Wow, that's interesting. Is this a potential way to distinguish notatus
from olivaceus? Oh, maybe you think your Jackson fishes _are_ notatus?
Anyway, if olivaceus typically has less sexual dimorphism, that may help
distinguish it from notatus. Seems like I have observed the same thing in
fishes from Arkansas and Tennesee. I think that those of mine were
olivaceus, but I don't claim to have any particular skill at distinguishing
them except by range maps. How did these things get to be two different
species, anyway?!

Mark
Columbus Ohio USA <))><
mbinkley_at_columbus.rr.com