NANFA-- Walnuts

Jeffrey Fullerton (tcmajorr_at_westol.com)
Wed, 09 Oct 2002 14:25:52 -0400

> Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 22:50:39 -0500
> From: "R. W. Wolff"
> Subject: Re: NANFA-- Newbie/Oak leaves/Coir/Coffee
>
> I have heard that horses can get very sick, if not die, from eating black
> walnut trees, saplings etc.

Walnut is very toxic- even to other plant life. There are many plants
that do not take too well to growing under or near walnuts. They release
growth inhibitors into the soil and I'm sure the same compounds are
released by the fallen leaves when they decay. Just to smell the leaves
or the husks of the nuts you can tell they pack somekind of chemical
defense.

Certainly not a tree you want to have near your fish ponds or vegetable
gardens.

Jeff