RE: NANFA-- help with fish ID

Nick Zarlinga (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 13:36:34 -0700

Steve, what would be your reasonings against N. dorsalis? I am looking at
it purely from a gross morphological standpoint only, but this seems to be
the best match. Check out this page:

http://144.92.62.239/fish/final_fish/final_main.asp?85

Nick Zarlinga
Aquarium Biologist
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
216.661.6500 ext 4485

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanfa_at_aquaria.net On Behalf
Of SHasloue_at_kdhe.state.ks.us
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 1:07 PM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: RE: NANFA-- help with fish ID

Nick:

Although I don't have the actual fish in-hand to ID the photos are well
detailed.

That said, I don't believe that the fish is a sand shiner. The
melanophores in the scales along the lateral line and at the base of the
dorsal fin in N. ludibundus aren't present in the pictures.

Additionally, the mouth appears sub-terminal and shaped almost like a
stoneroller's - not at all like the mouth on the sand shiners in my
reference collection.

The fish doesn't look like any of the fish I commonly come across (which
isn't surprising) so I would guess that it is a shiner not found in this
part of the country - that is NOT N. ludibundus, N. dorsalis, N. cornutus
or N. topeka.

Steve Haslouer
Environmental Scientist III
Bureau of Environmental Field Services
Kansas Department of Health and Environment
1000 SW Jackson St., Suite 430
Topeka, KS 66612-1367

(785) 296 - 0079