Re: NANFA-- News - Mysterious Frog Eggs Found in Connecticut

Joshua L Wiegert (jlw_at_dune.net)
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 16:25:46 -0600 (MDT)

Ok, say it with me now...
Josh is always right. :)

Heheh. Seriously, its important to note that the reason the Grass Carp
(or Eurasian Carp, or whatever you feel like calling it) is invasive is
not a lack of predators. It has no more or less predators than any other
large fish. The difference is that carp produce -a lot- more eggs than
many of our natives, and the fish itself is disruptive to the habitat,
effectively lowering the number of viable offspring produced by natives in
the area. We don't have many natives that muck up the bottom like the
grass carp. About the only things that come to mind are a few of the
larger catfish, adn even they are comparatively clean.

JW.