Re: NANFA-- 38 GPM 1 Hp pump - what size pond

Sajjad Lateef (sajjadlateef_at_yahoo.com)
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 14:54:43 -0700 (PDT)

--- Joshua L Wiegert <jlw_at_dune.net> wrote:

> It's important to note that 38 GPM is the peak flow. Once you put
> other
> things on there, including tubing, you're going to start losing flow
> pressure. You'll probably, at maxmum, get about 75%% out of that.
>
> That said, 38 GPM = 2280 GPH. That means it'll (again, this is at
> peak)
> turn over the pond seven times in an hour. Five times in an hour is
> what
> you have in an average aquarium. For a 300 G pond, though, I'd have
> rated
> you with a 750-1000 GPH pump, depending on what you want to do with
> it.
> (I.e., if you're going to power a filter, you could use a 500. If
> you're
> going to power a waterfall, a 1200 or higher may not be a bad idea.)
>
> So... is this a little big? Yes. Are you talking Niagra? No.
> Should be just fine.

Thanks, Josh. I guess then this recently acquired (used) pump and
filter would be perfect for a 12x3x1.5' riffle or stream system.
It might even support a small waterfall.

Sajjad

=====

--
Sajjad Lateef      Note: Any e-mail with my first name in subject
sajjad_at_acm.org          is filtered out and discarded as  s p a m .