NANFA-- Roe cuisine

bockj (bockj_at_erols.com)
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 08:30:51 -0400

When I was a kid fishing in Lincoln Park Lake in Jersey City, I caught a
big (for Lincoln Park Lake) roe-filled carp, about 3-4 pounds. An older
Italian man came by and said that I should try eating the fried roe.
Previously, I had tried eating the carp, but found them to have a flavor
much like algae, and you think I would have learned. The roe didn't taste
like algae--just like dried out, soft cornmeal. Kind of flavorless, and I
wasn't crazy about it.

Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 20:21:44 -0700
From: "Jay DeLong" <thirdwind_at_att.net>
Subject: RE: NANFA-- Caviar

What other eggs have people eaten? I've eaten fried sunfish egg sacks--
they're kind of nutty and crunchy. My grandpa, who wasn't fond of wild
game
(even though he was a farmer and hunter), loved them. I probably wouldn't
have tried them if he didn't eat them.

Salmon egg soup is a traditional Indian food that I don't want to try,
though.

Jay DeLong