Re: NANFA-- TN Valley Gang trip in GA

Roselawn Museum (roselawn_at_mindspring.com)
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 10:48:07 -0400

Ah, Great One, allow us to bask in your aura! I suppose it was just a
matter of time.

Glad you're still on for this weekend. The waters should be a little calmer
than your New York excursion. I'll try to get more detailed directions
posted today or tomorrow. Both of these sites are easy to find. We're
getting just a sprinkling of rain this morning, but nothing heavy is
predicted the last time I checked.

So, who else is in? I realize recent events have taken the wind out of our
sails. As an aging Viet Nam vet, I have experienced emotions this week that
I haven't felt in 30 years, but I refuse to let a handful of cowards change
the way I live. Come on out and share the country we all love. Just in case
y'all missed the trip posting in all the confusion, here's a quick paste
job from the earlier message:

OK who's up for another collecting (sampling) trip? This one's here in
beautiful GA, and it's a doubleheader on Saturday, September 22nd. I know
that for our Northern brethren that's the beginning of winter, but the
water should still be warm enough down here for good snorkeling/collecting.

Site #1. Sallicoa Creek - This location is just NE of Cartersville, GA off
Highway 411. It's near the headwaters of this stream. If there is no rain
that week, the water clarity is wonderful. The bottom is a combination of
rocks and sand. It's the only place I've ever been where I hauled in three
different species of suckers in the same pull. For those interested in
snorkeling, we'll meet at 9:30AM with the other collectors meeting at 11AM.
This will preserve the clarity for snorkeling until the main event begins.

Site #2. Raccoon Creek - Later, if we're successful in hauling Casper out
of the water, we'll travel just SW of Cartersville off Highway 61. This
location is very diffent from the first one. Raccoon Creek is a series of
deep pools broken by riffles and a few beaver dams. The bottom alternates
between gravel and mud. The pools (barring significant rainfall) are
normally clear enough to snorkel. This is an unusual creek that winds
around like a drunk on a unicycle. During the worst months of our recent
drought, it still sustained life in incredibly warm water.

Steven A. Ellis
Kennesaw, GA
God Bless America

At 08:35 PM 9/18/01 EDT, you wrote:
>hey stevei...
>did you read about my snorkle over the falls at the niagara? it probably got
>lost in the news of last week. Im in the history books now! first person to
>snorkle over the niagara horseshoe falls ever! awesome! im kinda banged up
>but ok. i didnt mean to go over... the current was a lot faster than i
>thought but wow... what a ride. they got a big pic of me spreadeagle body
>surfing in the daredevil museum. i spent a day there just signing t-shirts
>and stuff.
>as for this weekend im probably a go... the doc said give it a week so i
>should be fine. i will be there early 9:30 saturday... i appreciate the
>consideration for clear water prior to the sieners start stomping about at
>11:00. should be fun.
>call me tomorrow if you can...
>casper
>btw i saw some unknown darters in the niagara river, in a trib on grand
>island... and the substrate was carpeted w/ zebra mussels i think? ive never
>seen any firsthand before. lots of other fish to... the water was very clear!

---