Re: NANFA-- Re: Fundulus blairae

John Bongiovanni (bongi_at_cox-internet.com)
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 22:08:54 -0500

Thanks Chris, Let me try some of the local sources before I ask you to violate copyright law! I saw that book on the web the other day. Geez $105 but I guess have to fund their research.

There is certainly a learning oportunity here. F.dispar and F. blairae distributions appear to be distinct according to Peterson's but I'm sure there are zones of overlap. Is mate selection present? Which gender does the selecting? Does a F. blairae male have selective preference over F. dispar for the females? Is crossbreeding found in captivity? In the wild? Well, I have my work cut out for me.

Locally, we seem to have a couple of different morphs. Some of individuals I found at a different creek had brilliant blue eyes with a blue bar passing vertically throught the eye rather than the black bar and brown eye. I don't know if this is seasonal (mating colors) or not. Now, back to downloading "Gotta Jiboo" by Phish ;-)

John