Re: NANFA-- Genetically Modified Corn and its effect on the

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Sun, 08 Sep 2002 11:31:15 -0400

<x-flowed>
The problem with GM plants is that genetic material can "escape" or be
introduced into naturally occurring populations via pollen, i.e. the
dispersal agent for sperm cells. Plants are often not very fussy about what
pollen they'll accept and use to trigger fertilization; this is very
different from animals due to factors at the chromosomal level. Even though
corn, for example, is a cash crop, corn is also a North American native with
a number of close relatives with which it can cross-pollinate at least
occasionally. Old-world grains such as wheat, barley and rye can do the same
with various Eurasian grasses. So the potential exists for unintended
release of novel genetic material.

Spraying is not a great solution, either. You'll kill some of the target
insects, and also many other insects, fishes, amphibians and reptiles at
least. I heard that Chicago is being sprayed tonight at sundown; shut your
windows overnight!

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>From: Rich Butts <richbutts44_at_yahoo.com>
>To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
>Subject: Re: NANFA-- Genetically Modified Corn and its effect on the
>environment. Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 17:46:33 -0700 (PDT)
>
>Your use of the name wild population needs some work or more explanation.
>We are talking about a commercial cash crop here.
>I do not prefer the use of chemicals to control insect or disease, so where
>does one go from there. What is the point that you are making? It sounds
>like you prefer spraying chemicals because we should not fool with genetic
>changes in commercial corn crops.
>If I was never exposed to deadly chemicals on our food crops, would I never
>have gotten cancer. Is there a better chance of getting cancer from
>genetically engineered crops?
>Lots to think about,
>Rich
</x-flowed>