RE: NANFA-- an URGENT plea

Nicholas J. Zarlinga (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 08:07:45 -0400

If we can spend so much time on genetically engineered corn, then I think
that pertinent discussions on politics and the environment are certainly
appropriate. I am rarely interested in the politics scene, but sometimes I
do glean a bit of information from the discussions (when I don't delete
them first!).

PS- oh yeah....HA!

Nick Zarlinga
Aquarium Biologist
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
216-661-6500 ex 4485

"Fish worship... is it wrong??" (Ray Troll)

On Monday, September 09, 2002 3:35 PM, BR0630_at_aol.com [SMTP:BR0630 at aol.com]
wrote:
> In a message dated Fri, 6 Sep 2002 11:01:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
darterman_at_cboss.com writes:

> > Bob..Good morning! I agree to, but on the same token, it sometimes
can't be
> > avoided. I want your opinion on what I am expressing in this reply.
> > Personally, as long as the discussion is fair, intelligent, and not
getting
> > ugly with name calling, labeling, or personal attacks, I see nothing
wrong
> > with it from time to time. (not constantly, though) It adds a nice
flair
> > to the list. Those who don't want to get involved with the
discussion,
> > need not do so.
> >
> > Whether we like it or not, unfortunately, politics DO play a role and
affect
> > statuses of our Native Fishes, and if we are as 'in love' with them as
we
> > all claim to be, then what's wrong with discussing matters from time
> > time that may affect the very objects of our affection. Promoting a
> > political decision that would have the least impact on native fishes,
is the
> > least we can do to take some sort of platform on an issue.
> >
> > I think it's a responsible thing to do, so accurate info. can be
> > distributed on such issues that would affect our fish... this way,
maybe
> > someone on the list can get the proper info. they need to perhaps
write a
> > letter to their elected officials about the particular matter
affecting
> > local fishes. Taking a stand once in a while, is good.... It shows
people
> > are still exchanging ideas and thinking. I say that, even if I don't
agree
> > with the other guy.
> >
> > Personally, I learn a lot about native fish this way, actually, as far
as
> > what their future holds. Sometimes, I get tired of seeing nothing but
> > "breeding or aquarium" related topics on the list. Maybe you are
right,
> > perhaps a "politics" list IS the solution.... Good idea!
> >
> > Rob C.
>
> For my $.02, I agree with Rob, it's impossible to have an organization
that deals in ideals quite a bit and not expect some political type
discussions. Keep it fair, relatively non-personal and try to be
persuasive. I would hope this organization could give each of us a forum
to express our ideas on the varied subjects that impact fish, the
environment and our daily lives.

------