RE: NANFA-- Snakeheads in SC

Chip Rinehart (crin_at_glassmaster.com)
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:53:45 -0400

Here is the article I mentioned earlier.

Chip

Snakehead fish banned from state
The snakehead fish has been banned from South Carolina. The S.C. Department
of Natural Resources earlier this week adopted an emergency regulation
prohibiting importation, sale or possession of snakehead fish in the state
to lessen the potential for their release into state waters.
A population of snakehead fish, native to Asia and Africa, was found in June
in a small pond in Maryland. None have been found in South Carolina, though
there have been unconfirmed reports of snakehead caught in Lake Wylie in
North Carolina.
Like many other non-native species, the snakehead has the potential to
disturb natural ecosystems. They prey on fish, frogs, aquatic birds and
small mammals, and they've been known to eat all other fish in a pond.
People who have snakehead fish will have a 30-day amnesty period to turn in
the fish. Violations could bring a $200 fine or 30 days in jail.