Re: NANFA-- wintering darters outside

geoff and julie kimber (gkimber2_at_earthlink.net)
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 08:52:46 -0400

there was a fish store I used to go to in Tucson that had an interesting
design for their drainage tubes in their tanks.
They used a threaded PVC 'T' inside the tank to connect to the tube that
went through the glass. The hole and the 'T' were positioned such that the
top of the 'T' was above the desired water level, but below the top of the
tank. They attached a piece of PVC into the bottom opening of the 'T' that
was long enough to reach the bottom of the tank, and they put a strainer on
the end.

this way, they drew water and gunk off the bottom of the tank and sent it to
the main filter. The top opening of the 'T' was aove the water level
normally, unless the bottom strainer got clogged and then it functioned as
an overflow drain They had a piece of plastic screen glued onto the top of
the 'T' to keep fish from escaping.

they did notglue the PVC together so they could take it apart and clean it
more easily. I think they had neoprene O-rings that went between the 'T'
and the male threaded 1/2" connector inside the tank against the glass to
seal the whole thing up.

geoff