Re: NANFA-- Bluenose shiner news [off topic]

anutej_at_loxinfo.co.th
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 18:11:39 +0700

It is interesting that so far there is no splendens found by me
and friends in Betta sp. mahachai habitat. Some populations of
wildtype splendens and wild imbellis can tolerate salt since they can
be found in brackish water habitat too, so something must be going on
for Mahachai betta to be the only betta species/variety in its
habitat.

Other interesting point is that local betta arena breeder gurus
in Mahachai area seem to differentiate Mahachai betta and wildtype
splendens well. They call Mahachai betta "Pla par" [that means
"forest fish"] or "luk par" since they are generally found in Jak
forest [Jak is a type of palm-like plant that like barckish water] or
"Pla kiew" [= green fish], and call wildtype splendens "Pla rong",
"Pla tung" or "Luk rong" [[generally mean "ditch or field fish" since
they are found in canals, ditches, and fields generally further north]
or "Pla daeng" [= red fish]. They seems not to differentiate between
the wild imbellis from the south from wildtype splendens from the
north [they do say that fish from specific location is better at
fighting than others, but not restrict to species] since they refers
to both as "Pla daeng". They seem to use this knowledge to cross
Mahachai [Pla kiew] with wild splendens [Pla daeng] or fighting form
splendens to create faked Mahachai to fool careless arena opponents
[using stronger hybrid against real wild Pla kiew ^_^].
Tony
anutej_at_loxinfo.co.th