Re: NANFA-L-- Niagara River gobies?

dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
Mon, 04 Apr 2005 15:19:58 -0500

Though we have been through this before re other species and exotics
generally, I guess we are doomed to repeat history. This particular
exotic is especially damaging; we know that from abundant data. I know
that NANFA members are conscientious and conservation minded. But we
just must not let our desire for a particular fish (or our desire for
government to leave us alone -- mind its own business) keep us from
EXERCISING our responsibility to be conscientiouis and conservation
minded. Let us set the good example, rather than the bad, for those
who may not be so conscientious and conservation minded as we are.
Fishes like the round goby need to be killed when we find them, not
collected alive and transported to other locales. Suppose I have a
tankful of round gobies-in-home. Suppose I meet a horrible accident,
along with all close family members, and some distant cousin with no
more knowledge or sense than a monkey becomes responsbible for my home
fish? I know, I'm supposed to have provided, and I have, but far out
scenarios arise, too. So this dumb bunny sees my fish, has no idea
what to do, and decides to stock the local "Oklahoma River"?

BTW, the North Canadian is actually called that by the Oklahoma City
fathers. They've even put up signs, to what real purpose I know not.
One city council member, even, without bothering to know why the river
is called the Canadian River (it runs through a "Canada" or canyon in
New Mexico, so it is the river in a canyon, or Rio Canada in Spanish)
said it is absurd to call a river in Oklahoma the Canadian River, when
it is 700 miles from Canada! go figure!

Dave

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely/index.htm

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"