Re: NANFA-L-- Releasing fish?

Peter Unmack (peter.lists at)
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:59:29 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Bill Flowers wrote:

> Some of the reasons for this is you could be introducing a disease into
> the wild that the rest of the native fish could catch and die from.
> There is no known incident of this ever happening, but I would hate to
> be the first.

Actually, there is, but not via aquarists. Fish hatcheries have probably
done this alot, but it is rarely recorded. Asian tapeworms apparently
have been spread by fish released back into wild populations from the
Federal hatchery-in-Dexter New Mexico. I think this is has been
documented, but don't have my references handy.

Cheers
Peter