RE: NANFA-L-- Poll:OK, who has a canoe?(kayak sampling)...

Schlueter, Scott L LRB (Scott.L.Schlueter-in-LRB01.usace.army.mil)
Thu, 13 Apr 2006 11:53:48 -0400

Hi all. I have a Poke Boat, basically a utility kayak and I use it often for
sampling. The problem with most kayaks is the cockpit opening is small which
doesn't lend itself to hauling much. A poke boat has a large opening and is
extremely stable. I can haul a large seine and 5 gallon bucket (half
filled), without any problem. A use a dry bag stuffed behind the seat for
lunch and camera.

Paddling gives you versatility that is second to none. And it is a blast
when you get a few people paddling and catching fish. I initially purchased
it to track radio-tagged lake sturgeon because of the small river morphology
(impassible rapids), I needed a boat that was easy to launch (up to 12 times
per day) and would allow me to get around easily to locate fish.

The only problem with poke boats is the price. I have a standard poke boat
and paid extra for the green color. It is extremely light (22 pounds). In
the fall it doubles as my primary waterfowl-chasing vessel, usually haul a
shotgun in a drybag, drybox, and 2 dozen decoys without a problem (or dog and
dozen decoys). The other utility kayak on the market that is much more
affordable is the aquapod. I have never paddled one but they appear, by
shape, a little less maneuverable. They are heavy in comparison to the poke
boat by offers a higher payload capacity. If anyone has any questions on a
poke boat please feel free to email me.

Some websites, if interested-
http://www.pokeboat.com/PhoenixPokeBoats.htm

http://www.attbar.com/aquapod/specifications/aquapod_specs.htm