Re: NANFA-L-- Mussel Posting - New Rayed Bean Pop.

Jeff Grabarkiewicz (threehorn_wartyback-in-yahoo.com)
Fri, 14 Apr 2006 14:13:11 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, and Swan Creek has a limited selection of hosts. It would be a great list to start with. The usual, turbidity tolerant midwestern species.

Well, I'm up to several live now in an area of roughly 200 ft2 after today. I'd like to reach double digits. Fresh dead valves are also moving as bedload from somewhere upstream so there is likely multiple populations. It could be that this huge slug of sediment, which resulted from an excavator dumping all of the spoil from a newly excavated basement into the creek, is taking out everything in its path. When I walked upstream everything was trashed and shifting silt was everywhere. The habitat was completely destroyed. Only found 1 live fat mucket.

JG

Jeremy Tiemann <jtiemann-in-inhs.uiuc.edu> wrote:
Sweet! I have yet to collect that species alive... just shell.
Villosa fabalis might be extripated in IL; only two live individuals
from one site have been collected since the 1950s. Host work needs
to be done with this species; I believe OSU has only the Tippecanoe
darter has the host.

--

Jeremy Tiemann - Biological Field Assistant Illinois Natural History Survey - Center for Biodiversity Mailing address: 1816 South Oak Street - Champaign, IL 61820 Physical address: 607 East Peabody Drive, Room 96 - Champaign, IL 61820 Office telephone: (217) 244-4594 - INHS Fax: (217) 333-4949 Staff page: http://www.inhs.uiuc.edu/staff/index.php?action=list&user_name=jtiemann /----------------------------------------------------------------------- / This is the discussion list of the North American Native Fishes / Association (NANFA). Comments made on this list do not necessarily / reflect the beliefs or goals of NANFA. For more information about NANFA, / visit http://www.nanfa.org Please make sure all posts to nanfa-l are / consistent with the guidelines as per / http://www.nanfa.org/guidelines.shtml To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get / help, visit the NANFA email list home page and archive at / http://www.nanfa.org/email.shtml

--------------------------------- New Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Call regular phones from your PC and save big. /----------------------------------------------------------------------- / This is the discussion list of the North American Native Fishes / Association (NANFA). Comments made on this list do not necessarily / reflect the beliefs or goals of NANFA. For more information about NANFA, / visit http://www.nanfa.org Please make sure all posts to nanfa-l are / consistent with the guidelines as per / http://www.nanfa.org/guidelines.shtml To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get / help, visit the NANFA email list home page and archive at / http://www.nanfa.org/email.shtml