Re: about Cyprinellas NANFA-L-- minnow breeding

Peter Unmack (peter.lists at)
Sun, 16 Apr 2006 14:25:28 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006, Henry G. Tomasiewicz wrote:

> We feed our baby fish vinegar eels,

Are there any species in particular that you feed them to, or do you just
feed them to everything?

The pH issue is an important one. I always added a little sodium bicarb
to my tanks, but I also had soft barely alkaline water too.

> The nice thing about vinegar eels is that they are of varied size which
> means different size babies can feed on them and they will live in the
> tank for 2-3 days

I've noticed that they seem to live in fish tanks for a long time, at
least a week.

One thing that has always be funny to me is the elaborate schemes people
come up with to harvest the eels. All you need to do is hang something
into the culture (in Australia I use nylon coffee filters, but have never
seen them in the USA). Instead I just hang a green kitchen dish washing
pad about a half inch into the culture, lift it out, let it drain, give it
an extra tap to get the last drops off, then swish it in a cup of water.
Takes all of about 5 seconds and you get millions of eels that way.

I'm glad to hear people are using vinegar eels though, as they are so easy
to do and seem to be really helpful with fry a bit too small to start on
baby brine.

Cheers
Peter Unmack
Provo River, Utah