RE: NANFA-L-- creating levels with rock work

Irate Mormon (archimedes-in-bayspringstel.net)
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 21:09:43 -0500

Why not make it where fishes and/or crawdads can swim into the sweater
boxes? I mean, put little holes or something in them, maybe where they
are concealed or made to look like natural caves or something.

I can think of a lot of ways to do what you are trying to do, but I
don't see anything wrong with your method, and I rather like the idea of
having a hidden refuge. Be aware that the sweater boxes will deform
under the weight of the rocks. Progressively. You could accomplish the
same thing with styrofoam, carved to look like a rock and painted.
Somebody - Casper or Rob Carillo or somebody - made some backgrounds in
that manner.

-Irate

"He says there's no doubt about it, it was the myth of fingerprints.
I've seen them all and man, they're all the same." - Paul Simon

Behalf Of
>Mike Austin
>Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 8:42 PM
>To: nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org
>Subject: NANFA-L-- creating levels with rock work
>
>Hello folks,
> I am trying to put together another fish tank and was trying to think
of
>ways to create different levels in the aquarium using rocks...without
>placing too much weight on the bottom. One thought I had was to place
on
>one end of the tank (or where ever) plastic sweater boxes. On top of
these
>I would place the large foundation rocks (which would keep the plastic
from
>floating) and, on top of these rocks I could place smaller rocks to
create
>the desired look. The sides of the sweater boxes could be hidden with
>smaller flat stones and of course, gravel would be added last and
poured
>over most of the arrangement. The goal would be to create a change in
>elevation without all the weight...also, sorta provide a cross
sectional
>image of a stream. Any thoughts on this or better ideas...or problems
with
>what I have proposed...(is there a problem with the void that would be
>contained within the sweater boxes)...I hope I explained this well
enough.
> thanks
> Mike

>Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great
rates
>starting-in-1¢/min.
-
>/ Association (NANFA). Comments made on this list do not necessarily
>/ reflect the beliefs or goals of NANFA. For more information about
NANFA,