RE: NANFA-L-- Southeastern Naturalist 3(2)

Subject: RE: NANFA-L-- Southeastern Naturalist 3(2)
From: Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus-in-hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 04 2004 - 12:46:00 CDT

If anyone wants a .pdf copy of the Herrington article on rough shiners Jan
mentions below, I have it and would be willing to send it out. Get ahold of
me off-line.

--Bruce Stallsmith
on-line along the Tennessee
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>From: "Hoover, Jan J ERDC-EL-MS" <Jan.J.Hoover-in-erdc.usace.army.mil>
>To: "'nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org'" <nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org>
>Subject: RE: NANFA-L-- Southeastern Naturalist 3(2)
>Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 12:25:04 -0500
>
>Two articles of note for native fish enthuisasts in the most recent issue
>of
>Southeastern Naturalist
>
>Changes in the Fish Assemblage of Bear Creek (Tennessee River Drainage)
>Alabama and Mississippi: 1968-2000
>by Bryan W. Phillips and Carol E. Johnston
>...evaluates 32 years of change after four impoundments and a floodway were
>constructed. Four rare darters and four rare minnows were absent from
>recent survey, but four new centrachids were found.
>
>Observations on the Reproductive Behavior of the Nonindigenous Rough
>Shiner,
>Notropis baileyi, in the Chattahoochee River System
>by Steven J. Herrington and Karen J. Pop
>....asks whether the introduced rough shiner breeds in nests of native
>fishes and if so, whether they influence native fish abundance. Data
>suggest that the rough shiners do not use bluefin stoneroller nests but
>that
>they do use bluehead chub nests. Rough shiners may enhance abundance of
>bluehead chub but apparently do not impact the native nest-associates,
>bandfin shiners.

Planning a family vacation? Check out the MSN Family Travel guide!
http://dollar.msn.com

: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 12:24:16 CDT