RE: NANFA-L-- Snakeheads on National Public Radio

Subject: RE: NANFA-L-- Snakeheads on National Public Radio
From: James Smith (jim-in-fishiezoo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 04 2004 - 13:35:03 CDT

My Peterson's guide doesn't show either Large or Small mouth bass as being
native to the
Potomac either. It seems like a case of fighting one exotic species to save
another to me.
Where I live, the state stocks Rainbow Trout (native to the west coast)
which compete with
native brook and brown trout as well as other fish in the river. I wish
these state agencies
were actually into protecting native fish instead of sport fish, even if
that is where the money
lies.

Just so my point isn't missed, I agree in trying to remove Snakeheads
although I don't think
they have much of a chance. I think most of the legislation is kinda crazy
however. I also
believe that it's rather hypocritical to poison east coast water ways to
remove an exotic and
then restock it with more exotics...

Jim

At 01:38 PM 8/4/2004, you wrote:
>Yesterday's Morning Edition story on snakeheads can be heard here:
>
><http://www.npr.org/rundowns/rundown.php?prgDate=03-Aug-2004&prgId=3>http://www.npr.org/rundowns/rundown.php?prgDate=03-Aug-2004&prgId=3
>
>Its presented mostly from the perspective of Potomac River bass anglers
>but is worth a listen.

: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 12:24:16 CDT