RE: NANFA-L-- Preserves...

Subject: RE: NANFA-L-- Preserves...
From: Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus-in-hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Aug 08 2004 - 15:16:08 CDT

Dosage considerations are why I referred to MS-222 as the "best" anesthetic
optioni. If you want to knock out a fish safely for a short period of time,
like for surgery or attaching a tag, it's the best option because the
correct dosages are known for a wide range of fish and amphibians. For
euthanasia it's the more expensive option compared to clove oil, that's
true. I use the MS-222 because I came into possession of a fair amount of it
over the years.

For a drug-free anesthetic, blow air through a straw into about a glass of
water for about 5 minutes. You'll add enough carbon dioxide to the water to
be lethal to many fishes.

--Bruce Stallsmith
euthanizing fish near the Tennessee
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>From: Peter Unmack <peter.lists at>
>To: nanfa-l <nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org>
>Subject: RE: NANFA-L-- Preserves...
>Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 13:48:29 -0500 (CDT)
>
>On Sun, 8 Aug 2004, Bob Bock wrote:
>
> > Hi Peter. You said clove oil also knocks fish out temporarily. Can it
> > be used as a short term tranquilizer, say, for fish photography? What
> > strength would it have to be?
>
>Yes, it could, but their fins might be relaxed and less like to be fully
>extended, plus they will tend to sink to the bottom and lie on their
>sides. In terms of the dosage it really depends on how long you want to
>have them out for. If you only need it for a minute then I'd say one drop
>to a liter would be fine, but you would need to experiment a little bit to
>be sure. I offer no guarantees on dosages as I've not really tried to
>keep fish alive with it.
>
>Cheers
>Peter Unmack

: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 12:24:18 CDT