Re: NANFA-L-- A little mud never hurt anybody...

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- A little mud never hurt anybody...
From: Jeremy Tiemann (jtiemann-in-inhs.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 15:42:27 CDT

I have had Corbicula find its way into my tanks and live a while (>16
months). However, I don't think they grew much, if-in-all; besides,
I never saw them siphoning. A month ago, giant floaters (P. grandis)
were placed in a few of my tanks and they have not opened. Matt is
right, during times of stress, mussels will "clam" up (this is how
some species can with stand droughts). Without the right kinds of
equipment (e.g., tank setups and food), keeping mussels can be a bear
(food seems to be the major key). However, it can be done... some
institutions are going a great job-in-propagating mussels (Va Tech,
Ohio St, SW Missouri St). I would not recommend it without doing a
little research first; but you know that, and if anyone can it, it's
you Todd.

--
Jeremy Tiemann
Biological Field Assistant

http://www.inhs.uiuc.edu/staff/cbd/jtiemann.html /----------------------------------------------------------------------- / This is the discussion list of the North American Native Fishes / Association (NANFA). Comments made on this list do not necessarily / reflect the beliefs or goals of NANFA. For more information about NANFA, / visit http://www.nanfa.org . Please make sure all posts to nanfa-l are / consistent with the guidelines as per / http://www.nanfa.org/archive/nanfa/guidelines.html. To subscribe, / unsubscribe, or get help, visit the NANFA email list home page and / archive-in-http://www.nanfa.org/archive/nanfa/.

: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 12:24:22 CDT