Re: NANFA-L-- A little mud never hurt anybody...

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- A little mud never hurt anybody...
From: Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus-in-hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 21:14:26 CDT

Todd, I think you have a really healthy Corbicula in your tank. He's grown a
lot recently, from the look of his growth rings, and if you look closely you
see that the tassellated edge of the mantle is protruding out along the edge
on the left. Interesting, their exact effect on native mussels is still
unclear. Zebra mussels have direct, immediate negative effects on native
mussels. But Corbicula may be more neutral in its effects. A graduate
student of mine tried to find any literature on the negative effects of
Corbicula and really couldn't. If anyone knows of any, I'd be curious to
find it and read it.

--Bruce Stallsmith
down along the Great Cherokee (Tennessee) River
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>From: "Todd Crail" <farmertodd-in-buckeye-express.com>
>To: <nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org>
>Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- A little mud never hurt anybody...
>Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:51:01 -0400
>
>Re: NANFA-L-- A little mud never hurt anybody...From: Jeremy Tiemann
>
>Thanks for your kind comment and thoughts Jeremy.
>
> > However, I don't think they grew much, if-in-all; besides, I never saw
>them siphoning.
>
>Maybe this'll answer some questions :)
>
>http://www.farmertodd.com/nanfa/082504tank/
>
>Corbicula.jpg is the little guy in question. I have a hunch that the "old
>looking" growth was out in the wild, the "new looking" growth was in tank.
>See how it kinda breaks up into a leading edge? Possibly algal parasitism
>in
>the wild, or a change in water chemistry? Notice how that "breaking" scute
>is indistinct, however, every other one is distinct, especially evident in
>the scutes before and after.

: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 12:24:22 CDT