NANFA-L-- re: corbicula negative impact-

Subject: NANFA-L-- re: corbicula negative impact-
From: geoff (gkimber2-in-alltel.net)
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 21:55:05 CDT

Bruce - its a little indirect -

THE EFFECT OF DIEOFFS OF ASIAN CLAMS ( CORBICULAFLUMINEA ) ON ...
THE EFFECT OF DIEOFFS OF ASIAN CLAMS (CORBICULA FLUMINEA) ON NATIVE
FRESHWATER MUSSELS(UNIONIDAE) by Jennifer Lynn Scheller Thesis submitted
to the Faculty of ...
scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/available/etd-52297-202145/unrestricted/thesisf.pdf

Also
http://nas.er.usgs.gov/mollusks/docs/co_flumi.html

and finally:

http://research.amnh.org/biodiversity/mussel/conservationthreatstext.html

Geoff

On Wed, 2004-08-25-in-22:14, Bruce Stallsmith wrote:
> Todd, I think you have a really healthy Corbicula in your tank. He's grown a
> lot recently, from the look of his growth rings, and if you look closely you
> see that the tassellated edge of the mantle is protruding out along the edge
> on the left. Interesting, their exact effect on native mussels is still
> unclear. Zebra mussels have direct, immediate negative effects on native
> mussels. But Corbicula may be more neutral in its effects. A graduate
> student of mine tried to find any literature on the negative effects of
> Corbicula and really couldn't. If anyone knows of any, I'd be curious to
> find it and read it.
>
> --Bruce Stallsmith
> down along the Great Cherokee (Tennessee) River
> Huntsville, AL, US of A
>
> >From: "Todd Crail" <farmertodd-in-buckeye-express.com>
> >To: <nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org>
> >Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- A little mud never hurt anybody...
> >Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:51:01 -0400
> >
> >Re: NANFA-L-- A little mud never hurt anybody...From: Jeremy Tiemann
> >
> >Thanks for your kind comment and thoughts Jeremy.
> >
> > > However, I don't think they grew much, if-in-all; besides, I never saw
> >them siphoning.
> >
> >Maybe this'll answer some questions :)
> >
> >http://www.farmertodd.com/nanfa/082504tank/
> >
> >Corbicula.jpg is the little guy in question. I have a hunch that the "old
> >looking" growth was out in the wild, the "new looking" growth was in tank.
> >See how it kinda breaks up into a leading edge? Possibly algal parasitism
> >in
> >the wild, or a change in water chemistry? Notice how that "breaking" scute
> >is indistinct, however, every other one is distinct, especially evident in
> >the scutes before and after.

> hthttp://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

> / visit http://www.nanfa.org . Please make sure all posts to nanfa-l are
> / consistent with the guidelines as per
> / http://www.nanfa.org/archive/nanfa/guidelines.html. To subscribe,
> / unsubscribe, or get help, visit the NANFA email list home page and
> / archive-in-http://www.nanfa.org/archive/nanfa/.

: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 12:24:22 CDT