NANFA-L-- RE: Zebra mussel affects

Subject: NANFA-L-- RE: Zebra mussel affects
From: DeMarle, Stephen (Stephen_DeMarle-in-cable.comcast.com)
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 09:55:08 CDT

I thought I had heard that zebra mussels were also affecting the fish in the
great lakes. The theory went that the sheer mass of zebra mussels was so
good-in-filtering water of micro-organism that there weren't enough to feed
the slightly larger animals. Since they couldn't find food they were dying
out. The same was happening to the next larger predator like Mooneyes and
on up the food web to the non native salmons, the walleyes, etc. At least
that's what my fishing buddies along Lake Ontario were complaining about.
Has that been the actual affect or are they just using the wrong lures?

Steve