Re: NANFA-L-- mussels and crawfish

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- mussels and crawfish
From: matt ashton (ashtonmj2003-in-yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 08:47:13 CDT

Depends on where you live
If you live anywhere in the Mississippi Drainage pick up a copy of the Freshwater Mussels of the Midwest -Cummins its like 15 bucks, you can probably get it directly from Jeremy T
about 6 bucks kets you freshwater mussels of kentucky - straight from their heritage or DNR its small though
a whole lot more money gets you freshwater mussels of Tennessee
theres alot of other things not really in press or print like those for ohio, pa, and the like
I printed off a key a few weeks ago for michigan off the u mich website I believe.
Just know your states rules too...in Ohio its illegal to collect live or dead (of course without proper permits)...so your average guy walking down the stream goes hey this is cool looking picks it up...and even if its obviously weathered dead for years and years...and keeps it technically is in violation of the law...alot of that my understanding has to do with things that are fresh dead, and how would one in enforcement know for sure that it was dead-in-the time of collection other than the persons word. Varies widely by state though....
Roger Thoma has written some crayfish keys correct??? just dont know if they are in press...

"DeMarle, Stephen" <Stephen_DeMarle-in-cable.comcast.com> wrote:
With all these emails on mussels I'm wondering what is the best way to
identify species that you might come across. I'm pretty sure that a
Peterson Field Guide to Mussels of the United States hasn't been released.
Is there any field guide available? Also does anyone know of a Crayfish
idendification guide? Thanks.

Steve