Re: NANFA-L-- Mr. Garden Play sand

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Mr. Garden Play sand
From: Crail, Todd (farmertodd-in-buckeye-express.com)
Date: Tue Aug 31 2004 - 07:39:59 CDT

Hi Andrew,

Ah.... Now I get what you're after. It may be that the sand you were using was too coarse to allow film algaes to utilize the amounts of nutrition they needed. You probably also weren't getting the necessary amount of anoxic zone to do anything with deniftrification either. I see this usually as a problem for folks, because they want to do the "sandbed thing", but are afraid to put something in there as packed as a sandbed needs to be. I don't think this was your case, but it sounds like you got hooked up with something a little larger than what you needed.

The Southdown would be a lovely and far less expensive solution, if you can find it. :)

Todd
The Muddy Maumee Madness, Toledo, OH