Re: NANFA-L-- Mr. Garden Play sand

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Mr. Garden Play sand
Moontanman-in-aol.com
Date: Tue Aug 31 2004 - 14:44:40 CDT

In a message dated 8/31/04 1:13:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Snailcollector-in-cs.com writes:

> I think that Southdown has been discontinued, due to the fact that no HD in
> my area (VA) can get it. I just bought some from a pet store today, figured
> it wasn't worth the hassle.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew

I've looked for the Southdown play sand many times but never found it. Maybe
someone finally figured out where a lot of it was going and decided to
discontinue the cheap alternative to aragonite sand bought in pet stores. I have to
ask, are you in a position to collect native sand from a marine area? I have
found that scooping out a piece of sand/mud like a cookie cutter the exact size
of the aquarium from a lagoon area is the best way to set up a deep sand bed
and you get all the little invertebrates that should be in the sand much like
live rock. I'm not sure how this relate to a strictly tropical set up but for
my area it is a great way to obtain both sand and the organisms needed to make
a marine system work. I am lucky enough to live in an area where the water is
tropical most of the year and many sessile organisms almost go into
hibernation when the water gets really cold so I can collect sand/mud knowing the warm
water will not cause a huge die off. I have often wondered if freshwater
sand/mud bed would do the same for a native/natural type aquarium. I have
transferred mud along with plants collected from streams but never a complete sand/mud
bed. Possibly the method wouldn't translate completely to freshwater.

Moon

: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 12:24:26 CDT