NANFA-L-- Pigeon Mountain return (now people mentality)

Nick Zarlinga (njz-in-clevelandmetroparks.com)
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 07:38:48 -0400

I can only
><)> guess what it would have been like 100 or better
><)> 200 years ago.

Nice write up Casper. Your comment above spurred me to relate an incident
that I found a bit sadistically funny, yet very telling. I have a friend
who is over the past couple of years starting to get into NANFA and is
starting to really appreciate this "natural history stuff". He has no
biological background, is very intelligent, and is becoming amazed by
nature. I guess you can say that we have opened his eyes. On an outing
where we were catching some real nice fish, he turns to me and the dialogue
goes something like this;

Friend: "I am amazed-in-how these things [native fish and other animals]
can survive out here"
Nick: "What do you mean?"
Friend: "You know, there are so many diffenent kinds, with no help."
Nick: "Help? What do you mean?"
Friend: "You know, help by us. They just can live out here with out us
helping them."
Nick: "What do you think it was like before we were here?"
Friend: "I don't know, I guess I never really thought about it. I guess I
just figured that there wasn't much around until we got here."
Nick: "Oh?"
Friend: "All we hear these days is how we have to help the beavers and the
otters and such. It just seems like they need our help to survive."

I thought this was really telling. In my opinion, this represents what the
rest of the world thinks about nature. If it came from some "[insert your
degrading, disgusting, uniformed people stereotype here]", then I could
understand, but this wasn't the case.

Nick Zarlinga
Aquarium Biologist
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo