Re: NANFA-L-- Red water mites -- poisonous?
Mon, 08 Aug 2005 15:40:31 -0500

Don't know if these things are toxic. They are not parasites, but
rather are predaceous on other small inverts. You are right that the
bright red, highly visible color suggests a warning as in bees,
butterflies, reptiles, whether toxic or venomous. But other mites are
bright red too; to whom might chiggers be putting out a warning?
Certainly not us or their normal hosts of lizards and birds.

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email:
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"
/ This is the discussion list of the North American Native Fishes
/ Association (NANFA). Comments made on this list do not necessarily
/ reflect the beliefs or goals of NANFA. For more information about NANFA,
/ visit Please make sure all posts to nanfa-l are
/ consistent with the guidelines as per
/ To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get
/ help, visit the NANFA email list home page and archive at