RE: NANFA-L-- California Natives - They're All Threatened or

Peter Unmack (peter.lists at)
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 16:13:52 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Joel Healy wrote:

> That brings me to my main point: How do I get good enough-in-captive
> care to delude myself into believing that I am doing the fish a favor?

Get some fish and start trying to breed them!! Different genera and or
families have different requirements. Start with easier stuff. What's
easy is going to depend on where you live, temperatures, space and what's
available. Main thing is to learn live food culture techniques and
experience in trying to raise fry. Once you have that down then
everything gets a lot easier, all you have to do then is get the fish to
breed!

One thing that could be good is a page on the website for "beginners"
natives that aren't too difficult to breed. Red shiners and fathead
minnows are two that come to mind, some of the killies and livebearers.

Best bet for finding out information is to use the search feature on the
website, that should find any relevant articles and posts to this NANFA
list which go back over 6 years. Then try google in general, then try
asking on the list. There are also some books that might have information
too, but again depends on your interests and where you live.

Cheers
Peter Unmack
Red River, Oklahoma