Re: NANFA-L-- Texas Man Catches Fish With Human-Like Teeth

J. C. (hillbillynursery-in-yahoo.com)
Tue, 1 Aug 2006 12:59:57 -0700 (PDT)

Well it is what the aquarium shops call them and why
the story probly used that name. Just another good
reason to do away with common names all together and
just use sceintific names. I understood why it was
called pacu and understood the people saying it is not
called that in Brazil and even giving sceintific
names. I know I would have liked to seen a picture
from the side of this fish. The red belly pacu(since I
do not know the proper name) is much more common in
aquarium trade. Our local shop has one that is over 2
foot long and they marked it down because it can not
turn around well in the 120 gallon tank. I would think
they would be a fun fish to catch.

Later, John

--- dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu wrote:

> Michael, I don't think anyone said the fish in
> question was what is
> called a silver dollar in the American aquarium
> trade -- which is one
> of several smaller characin species called pacu in
> their native
> Brazil. It was identified by someone as a pacu,
> which what North
> Americans call tambaqui, one of the giant Collosoma
> species. No one
> in Brazil calls Collosoma pacu.
>
> Dave

John Cox of Cumberland Killifish
Honey Robber beekeeping and removal services

Please join A Fishy World my new email group all
about fish at AFishyWorld-subscribe-in-yahoogroups.com
http://mail.yahoo.com