RE: NANFA-L-- fish transportation

Harry Thames (thames_h-in-msn.com)
Sat, 12 Aug 2006 19:04:55 -0500

Ten years ago, I moved from Charleston SC to Mobile, AL. I took a very
large Oscar with me, I was just out of school and still in party mode and I
did the 10 hour drive over 3 days ( the fish ended up in the cooler for 4
days.) I bought the largest Ice chest I could get my hands on, it was a
Gott, It was approx 4' long and 18" wide or so. It was so heavy when I 1st
filled it up that I had to dump out most of the water and put it in the
trunk of my car and refill it. I drilled 2 holes in the top of the ice
chest and ran a small air hose in one hole. I filled the ice chest
completely full so I could keep sloshing down. The oscar lived, with me for
another year then with a friend of my mothers for about 5 more years, a
hurricane power outage got him.

Coolers are very well insulated, and if you fill them up completely they
cannot slosh. An air stone will have 2 have a vent at the top of the
cooler.

My 2 cents

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org [owner-nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org] On Behalf Of
Peter Unmack
Sent: Saturday, August 12, 2006 6:31 PM
To: nanfa-l
Subject: NANFA-L-- fish transportation

G'day folks

I am going to need to move a bunch of fish (minnows, mostly Cyprinella)
over a two day road trip in the near future. I have always done short
term movements in coolers, but it gets a bit messy with water splashing
around. I have a few questions. Do folks have suggestions on different
transportation methods? I have thought about using fish boxes (and/or
coolers) and bagging the fish in large bags. This would be a lot less
water (and weight), but would mean the fish would have to endure more
sloshing around. Alternatively, if I do use coolers, do folks have any
suggestions on brands/types that are less prone to leaking water out the
top with the lids closed? Also, when I move fish in coolers I tend to
keep them pretty full to reduce sloshing around. I presume other folks
usually do this as well? I'm not really sure how important sloshing
really is in terms of avoiding it.

If anyone has any thoughts on that they'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Peter Unmack
Provo River, Utah