RE: NANFA-L-- ID help

Crail, Todd (tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu)
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 18:28:05 -0400

Uland,

Yepper, Notropis is tough. And they stinkin' croak on you while you're trying
to just learn.

I think the easy key characteristic for a decently sized ironcolor specimen is
the dark coloration _all the way around_ the mouth. That's what has stood out
at me in each of the guides I've compared the two.

The guide from the nice folks in Michigan comes in handy here:

Ironcolor:
http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/spatialdatalibrary/pdf_maps/fish_atlas/illustratio
ns/notcha.pdf

Weed:
http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/spatialdatalibrary/pdf_maps/fish_atlas/illustratio
ns/nottex.pdf

The main page is found at:
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/1,1607,7-153-10371_14793-30538--,00.html

You will find a great deal of overlap in Illinois.

In your situation you may also have blackchin and blacknose shiner involved.
They will both have black around the mouth, but the mouth is very oblique, or
straight up and down vs straight back, as found in the ironcolor and weed
shiners.

Blackchin:
http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/spatialdatalibrary/pdf_maps/fish_atlas/illustratio
ns/notheterod.pdf

Blacknose:
http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/spatialdatalibrary/pdf_maps/fish_atlas/illustratio
ns/notheterol.pdf

Also, Becker's Fishes of Wisconsin is available if you download their reader.
It's all free as well.

http://www.seagrant.wisc.edu/greatlakesfish/becker.html

Yeap. As a Pleistocene relict the size that it was, it probably had cryptic
species galore, as populations were totally disjunct for a dozen thousand
years, not to mention the weird distribution of northern and southern species.
Pugnose, ironcolor, blackchin and blacknose would be some I'd say are
candidates for genetic research. Hopefully the reclaimation efforts going on
will close some of those ditches. I'm not holding my breath though. "You say
you want to CLOSE a ditch? Boy, you crazy or somethin'?" :)

Todd