Re: NANFA-L-- Frugal fish transporting and keeping - cheap

Peter Unmack (peter.lists-in-)
Sun, 27 Aug 2006 14:02:57 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006, Jase Roberts wrote:

> Aha, this brings up a topic I wanted to start a while back -- fish
> keeping on the cheap.

The cheapest fish keepers I know are killifish people! Not that they are
cheap per se, but usually if I find those guys are most most knowledgable
about all kinds of good little tricks and stuff. I always search the
killfish email list archives for stuff I have questions about.

My cheap contributions are tubing for airlines, syphons and gravel from
Home Depot (the latter tends to be pretty dirty, but a couple days soaking
makes it easier to clean). Aquarium silicone is another (the GE Type I
stuff is what you use). We already discussed sodium thiosulphate for
chloromine removal. Fixing broken tanks is another. I'm always amazed at
what people are unwilling to easily fix. The standard filtration I used
is a goldfish bowl undergravel filter (<$3) in a gallon tub from Home
Depot or Walmart filled with gravel. Not very pretty, but cheap and very
efficient! I always scrounge the paint screw up bin for good colors for
painting fish tanks with (I like to paint the bottom, back and one side of
relatively bare tanks, the fish are much happier I find).

Tootles
Peter Unmack
Provo River, Utah