RE: NANFA-L-- Photo Library - PHP Gallery

Shane Graber (SGraber-in-sauder.com)
Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:50:55 -0400

FWIW, you could state somewhere that all images on the NANFA photo gallery are to be used with a certain Creative Commons license:

http://creativecommons.org/image/
http://creativecommons.org/license/?format=image

That way you could retain your copyright on the image along with stating exactly how an image is to be used. I don't know if Gallery has a CC module or not but it wouldn't suprise me if it did.

Creative Commons licenses are being used more and more these days on the internet.

FWIW,

Shane

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org [owner-nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org]On Behalf
Of Todd D. Crail
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 8:49 AM
To: nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org
Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Photo Library - PHP Gallery

Hi Jase,

Peter would be in charge of installing any PHP modules. I've yet to bother
with doing anything in PHP, nor do I have time. I would like to make a
suggestion though...

This is such a hassle. Why is it a problem to offer low-res images for FREE
to anyone in the public with a _disclaimer_ that they're only for
educational use, etc etc? Afterall, NANFA has "education" as one of the
main missions of our organization, and offering free low-res images for
powerpoint, whatever, is a part of that mission. People who actually have
the money to pay for them still will (Gov't agencies esp), people who
don't... why do you care?

This mainly directed to Tony's comments... I know it grates people to see
their images on certain things without compensation, but I say "Don't put it
on the internet".

And I can also strongly argue that I'm not interested (we'll see what the
Board has to say) in having the NANFA website turn into a "for profit"
adventure for photographers, regardless of what the history of "who owns
what" is. I mean, does NANFA get a cut of the sale where the NANFA website
was used to sell an image that the photographer maintains control over?
Either you meet the purposes of education and surrender some control, or you
don't par
no hard feelings.

Because I've yet to figure out who's PAYING me or Peter for any of my time
to develop on the website, if you know what I mean.... I think we'd be able
to jointly start our _own_ NSF funding programs on whatever we felt like if
we got paid for the back time at a normal Internet Technologies consulting
rate ;)

Todd
The Muddy Money Madness, Toledo, OH
http://www.farmertodd.com