RE: NANFA-L-- Frugal fish transporting and keeping - cheap

Irate Mormon (archimedes-in-bayspringstel.net)
Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:32:23 -0500

I scavenge stuff all the time. Recently at my store we had a lighting
upgrade - I appropriated all the old ballasts for future use (I build my
own light hoods). Too bad they weren't MH! I've come across boxes of
plate glass in my wanderings too. Sand and rocks are easily obtainable
at some of my collecting sites. Plants? Available in the wild.

Water pumps are a different story. I don't skimp on those - it isn't
worth it.

--
Irate

Sarcasm - just another free service I offer!
Behalf Of
> [...]
or
>other retailers.  But a lot of supplies can be picked up *way* cheaper
if
>they aren't specifically marketed as aquarium supplies.
>
>I'll start with some examples:
>- 4' fluorescent lights (to be used over a glass aquarium top) usually
run
>$80-100 at aquarium stores.  These are virtually identical to 4' "shop
>lights" that can be had for $8-12 at various discount stores.
>- The filter pads that come with cheapo "over-the-side" filters are
>basically just polyster batting sewn in a rectangle.  That batting runs
>about $2-3/yard at Jo-Anne or other fabric stores.  Spend an hour or so
>with needle-and-thread (or try hot glue to do it much quicker), and you
can
>make up enough to last a long time
>- Dollar stores have all sorts of things that can be useful -- packs of
>suction cups for positioning air lines, kitchen basters for sucking up
live
>foods.  One that I've found to be particularly cool is a collapsible
mesh
>laundry hamper that makes a great free-standing "corral" for fish while
>you're collecting.
>- For aquariums where I don't have hoods, I've purchased "foam core"
>posterboard at dollar stores and cut it to fit.  Give it a couple coats
of
>spray paint, and it's waterproof.
>
>Where else have folks found stuff that's useful to fishkeeping, but not
>specifically marketed as "aquarium supplies" (with the associated
markup)?

>-Jase
>

>IndyEsox-in-aol.com wrote:
>> This goes along with the recent thread of the better ways of
transporting
>> fish.  Bringing them home in plastic coolers is much better than the
way
>I  used
>> to do it.
>>
>> When I was in the wholesale business, I learned where many of the
>Goodwill,
>> Salvation Army and similar used goods stores were in central Indiana.
>> Between sales calls, I would occasionally have time to check them
out,
>primarily
>> for their used book sections.  I have seen perfectly good  plastic
>coolers for
>> $3 or $4. There are sometime assorted  clear containers with lids
that
>could be
>> used to segregate  specimens. (I think the idea of breathable bags
will
>work
>> out  better.)  I've kept fish temporarily in larger ones using a
sponge
>> filter once they are home.
>>
>> Used aquariums I have found to be overpriced in places like this.
There