Re: NANFA-L-- Sunfish question

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Sunfish question
From: Todd D. Crail (tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 08:24:44 CST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kudzu" <kudzu-in-kudzupatch.com>

> I will be setting up a display tank in the next couple of months and I am
> looking for some ideas on fish to put in the tank. I am interested in
> keeping a community tank. Not necessarily a accurate representation of any
> one river system but one that looks like it might be and obviously can get
> along together.

Jeff,

That will be a beautiful show tank! :)

Probably the first thing to know, is what is "local" for you?

I have had success keeping multiple families with Centrarchids, but I have
been _very_ selective about what species from the family I utilize.
Bluegill and greens are 100% out of the question. I've found dollar sunfish
to be nasty as well. From what I understand redbreasts are satan's spawn,
but I've not kept them.

So what does that leave us with?

Well... You can't go wrong with orangespots. I also keep the northern
longear and pumpkinseeds without any issues. The northern longear (L. m.
peltastes) stay smaller and seem to be less boisterous than the central.
But these are more northern and central distributions... given that you're
in the "Kudzu" this might be quite a drive :) Warmouth are great if you
can keep specimens of other families that won't fit into their mouths.

I've heard that the flier and mud sunfish are pretty darned gentle, maybe
people with experience there can help out.

Now... I don't think you're going to get away with Elassoma in any
situation, besides keeping it by itself or with a couple small killies or
small Notropis minnows. Pirate perch might be an interesting species to
keep with them as well... But I would really research the email archive
before bringing any of these little jewels home, to see what's in store for
their captive care.

But back to the show tank... By being selective about what sunfish you put
in there... You'll be able to keep a wide variety of Cyprinids, larger or
greedy feeding darters, all sorts of killifish, and different kinds of
madtoms, should you take the care to figure out how to deliver food to them.

Hope this helps...
Todd
The Muddy Maumee Madness, Toledo, OH
http://www.farmertodd.com